Tuesday 26 March 2013

Stitching Punda

Last night it rained, in fact it bucketed down. Strong winds, lightning, thunder, the whole works. This morning the roads are strewn with long strips of karri bark, leaves, branches and lumpy streaks of ginger gravel left by the gushing runoff. In fact we had over forty millimetres of rain.

It seems kind of appropriate that last night I finished working on a garment that was inspired by the floods up north.  I made a printing block using some flood detritus while we were camped at Punda Pool near Newman last year. 


I used this to overprint some cloth, then added a small sprouting banksia print and some simple stitching. The coup de grace was a tiny heart of french knots which is my connection to the heart I built in the pool while we were there. It is the red of the dirt and the rising and setting sun.



I smile just thinking about that place.




No comments:

Post a Comment