Monday 18 November 2013

Quink quink, kik kik

For over a week I stalked Western Rosellas. They could be seen from inside the house on the Guitenotia bush, feasting on the seed pods. The soft silky grey foliage was bejewelled by flashes of red, yellow, blue and green. As soon as I walked outside they would be off flying down the paddock, not returning till I had gone back inside. I could hear their high pitched 'quink quink ..quink quink' but not see them. Despite their bright colouring they are difficult to see if they want to stay hidden. Western Rosellas tend to feed quietly in pairs or small groups. Around here that is often on the ground in the pasture or in fruit trees if they are not netted.



In the end, when there were few seeds left on the bushes, I persevered. I stayed outside and stalked them. I'd see a bird, it would see me, then take off. This loop played out over and over. Finally the above bird returned and landed on some kangaroo paws. It looked at me - shocked - when it realised I was only metres away. Something changed and it lost its caution. The Rosella flew over to the Guitenotia and ate happily while it watched me as I photographed it.


In this last week the Sacred Kingfishers have returned for their summer breeding season. The pair here called to each other 'kik kik kik kik'; one near our house the other down by the creek. This fellow hunted for food, swooped down to the ground and back up to a high vantage point before it flew down the hill towards it's mate.






No comments:

Post a Comment