Saturday 1 February 2014

I saw a tree

Incurable and unbelieving
in any truth but the truth of grieving,

I saw a tree inside a tree
rise kaleidoscopically
as if the leaves had livelier ghosts.

I pressed my face as close
to the pane as I could get
to watch that fitful, fluent spirit
that seemed a single being undefined

or countless beings of one mind
haul its strange cohesion
beyond the limits of my vision
over the house heavenwards.

Of course I knew those leaves were birds.
Of course that old tree stood
exactly as it had and would
(but why should it seem fuller now?)

and though a man's might now endow
even a tree with some excess
of life to which a man seems witness,

that life is not the life of men.
And that is where the joy came in.

by Christian Wiman, from Every Riven Thing 





No comments:

Post a Comment