Sunday 8 June 2014

White robin



Over late summer and into autumn we were graced with the antics of a pair of white robins flitting and feeding through our garden. Early in April I flushed a fledgling from some shrubs near the chook yard.. It flew straight out in front of me with the parents looking on from near by. After staring at me for a moment it flew into the bush next door. These are the photos I took of it feeding in our garden on subsequent occasions. It looks a little scruffy because it still has some of it's baby fluff.

Unfortunately this story has a sad ending. I found the poor little bird dead one morning at the end of April. Soon after that I found the White robin's nest in my shade house - a well built little cup of woven grasses nestled in the fronds of a large elkhorn. No wonder I saw the adults so frequently. Since then I have found an older nest in another elkhorn. With a bit of luck they will try again and this time with more success.


No comments:

Post a Comment